Thursday, July 10, 2008

It's Britney, Bitch.

I have much more important things to talk about than Madonna and Britney Spears. Things like my recent trips to Fire Island and Washington State, and an encounter Ashley and I had with a little dancing man (just wait till I post the videos up here) at a pre-Pride event here in NYC. But since I am yet again stuck at work without the necessary pics on my laptop I'm gonna talk about Madonna and Britney Spears.

As some of you may know Madonna is currently in rehearsals for her Sticky&Sweet Tour. She is actually rehearsing in Williamsburg, Brooklyn which is only a hop, skip and a shimmy away from where I live. I've been tempted to take the subway over to BK, listen carefully for an incredibly thumpy bassline, and head in that general direction to see if I can illegally spy on her rehearsing. There's actually a video out there on YouTube of a fan who recorded a short rehearsal segment of one of her past tours. But then I think twice and realize that I don't wanna spoil the concert once I finally see it in October and, of course, I don't wanna be a psycho. I mean, that would be a kinda psycho thing to do.

Maybe I'll do it if Ashley (my good friend and an equally ardent fan) convinces me.

I digress.

Back to my point. I tend to not focus much on Madge's personal life. I like the fact that she's married and all and think her husband Guy Ritchie is really hot and her kids are totally adorable.....but I don't really care about that. What I like about her is her music, her performances, her visual aesthetic (um, I think that's what it's called), and her attitude. So all this A-Rod/divorce bullshit doesn't really matter to me. To be honest, I don't think it's true at all. But whatever. What really sparked my interest in recent Madonna news was the fact that she was teaming up with Britney again. Everyone remember this?

Filthy. Back then I thought it was absolutely fabulous. Now.....well.....it sure sparked those headlines. In Madonna speak, she stated that she was "passing the torch" to Britney and Christina Aguilera (remember she also kissed her but they cut away from that kiss to tape Justin Timberlake's reaction).

Anyway, so Madonna and Britney are collaborating again. This time, Britney is gonna be a part of Madge's new show. She won't be appearing live onstage with her but she will be in one of Madge's famous video interludes (basically, these interludes are Madge's chance to get backstage and into another outfit while her dancers work their stuff onstage in front of these huge screens with amazing videos and projections). According to some random rumors, the video will feature Britney in an elevator performing some "deep" dance to Madge's song Human Nature. Interspersed within the song you'll apparently hear Britney's famous line "It's Britney, bitch" from her recent song Gimme More.

I think this is kind of a great idea. The song Human Nature was Madonna's way of saying "lay off me" to all the critics who gave her a lot of shit for all the explicit work she was doing in the late 80's and early 90's. She had released the album Erotica (my all time favorite) and the book Sex (you read that right) at just about the same time. Erotica was pretty dirty but it was also a really great album. I guess people just couldn't quite get past that fact that she was presenting herself in such a balls out manner. The book Sex which featured her in all sorts of compromising positions was definitely pretty racy, but if you got past the fact that you were staring at butts and boobs and.....things, Madonna's message was kinda interesting. One about acceptance, openness, and embracing human nature and instinct. Plus, she was a huge advocate of safe sex!!! That's a GREAT message!

I've never been a big Britney fan. I mean, I already had the real thing with Madonna, I didn't need Brit. All these nutsy shenanigans she's been going through recently have been really made me sad, though. I don't really know why. Back in the day, even though she was a huge success, people would still give her a lot of shit for not really being all that good. But if you watch some of her performances, she was seriously kicking ass. She was a fucking PERFORMER. Maybe she wasn't always singing live but she was definitely, as I call it, giving it to me.

Thankfully, it seems like Britney is finally digging herself out of her huge mess. She got herself into rehab, away from that terrifyingly creepy manager, she got back in touch with her folks, and is slowly working her way back into the lives of her kids. This is a great chance for her say "So, yeah, I was a disaster and you thought I was over, but look at me now.....bigger and better than ever and in a Madonna show" and, maybe even, "It's Britney, bitch" but this time with a little more confidence. Ha.

Featuring her in a video with the song Human Nature in it seems pretty appropriate to me. She may have lost it but in the words of Norman Bates, "we all go a little mad sometimes."

Yikes. Creepy.

Here's Human Nature. It's one of Madonna's best.


Wow, what a random entry.

Bye!

No comments: