Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Stuck at the office...

Well, here I am at good old Chelsea Studios where I work. We have two floors here filled with rehearsal spaces, the 5th and 6th floors. The 6th floor is usually hoppin' and I mean HOPPIN'...no G required. The rooms are always filled with auditions, rehearsals, dance classes, readings, martial arts people kicking and screaming, salsa dancers salsa-ing. It's nuts.

The 5th floor, well, it's a bit quieter. Not always, but usually. Today was a little different since NYU's Tisch School of the Arts auditions were here and especially since Billy Elliot the musical was holding their open dance call for girls. I got here and there were nervous high school auditioners and very very VERY excited little girls as far the eye could see. Thankfully, everyone was pretty much gone by around 5. Not bad at all. Now that the '7 o'clock shuffle' as I like to call it is over I decided to do a little writing. The '7 o'clock shuffle', by the way, is when most of the rooms have to be changed over to let the new night classes and rehearsals in.

If you haven't already noticed, I tend to digress. None of what I just wrote really has anything to do with this new blog, but whatever. Basically, since I'm on the 5th floor and there isn't too much happening right now I've decided to post a few videos which have provided me with A LOT of entertainment these past few days.

Let's begin with 'Stompadu'! I have a friend named Courtney who is a huge sweetheart. She teaches tap here at Chelsea so when she has a break she usually sits and chats with me. It's great fun when nothing much is going on at work. Also, she has kinda become my own personal masseuse. I love it! Although, if you saw her giving me a massage these days I'm pretty sure you'd come right up to me and slap me across the face. That's because she's definitely wearing a little neck brace right now. Is that what you call them? She wearing one of these...

My mama would be so proud. Haha. Right...

So that's what the brace kinda looks like. She doesn't have to wear it all the time, just most of the time. Unfortunately, her cervical spine is positioned in the wrong direction and I'm pretty sure two discs are pinching a nerve. She is getting a lot of treatment for it so hopefully she'll be all better very soon. So yeah, if you saw her rubbing my shoulders it would look kinda weird. Keep in mind though that she's a great tapper and was in a tap show the other day so she's still moving and dancing like crazy. It's all good. She's gonna be fine!

Again, I have strayed from my main point. Courtney showed me this video tonight of some performance that happened recently. It's a song from 'Xanadu' called I Wish I was a Punk Rocker (With Flowers in my Hair) with some of the dancers from 'Stomp' as the beat and it's pretty great! Also, Courtney's friend Michelle (I think?) is in it. Here it is...

Pretty great, right?

Onto the next video. I've never known much about Judy Garland. As a kid I only knew about her because of 'Wizard of Oz' which I loved. Recently, though, I downloaded a few songs from her Carnegie Hall concert and was really blown away by her performance of The Man That Got Away. I looked online to see if I could find a video of her singing the song live and, guess what, I found one! Her performance is astounding and really inspiring. I truly believe the story she is telling through her song. I know that might sound like Musical Theater bullshit but I'm not kidding, she gives it for real. Here she is!

Finally, I'd like to introduce you all to Morgan. She's the cutest little demon baby EVER. I hope she makes you laugh as much as she makes me laugh!

See you all later!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow...a picture of my neck brace! Only you would do something like that. However, you did get your facts straight about the neck and stomp; I'm impressed. By the way, STOMP was AMAZING last night!!! And I'm thoroughly enjoying your little blog here. :)